Followers

Thursday 17 May 2012

Percentage Dice


There's a lovely moment in an episode of Peep Show when neurotic uber-nerd insurance-drone and live-action role-player Mark Corrigan's internal monologue features the phrase, "I haven't felt this excited since I bought my first set of 20-sided dice". I knew exactly what he meant. These percentage dice, bought at The Model Shop in Blenheim Road, Newcastle have travelled around with me since 1975, and I was very, very excited to get them because - to a thirteen year old-gamer-  owning them seemed like crossing over the threshold into adulthood. Buying them also meant I could use the rules in Don Featherstone's Skirmish Wargaming - which my Mum and Dad had given me for Christmas. And I did use them too, for more games than I can remember, everything from Hadrian's Wall to the Malayan Emergency (with Airfix Confederates as Communist insurgents). If I had to pick an all-time favourite rule set it would be these. The Minifigs S range gladiators were bought around the same time at The Stamp Shop in Linthorpe Road, Middlesbrough and painted with Airfix gloss enamels from the local newsagents. I think there must be a way of adapting the excellent Reiner Knizia card-driven duelling/fencing boardgame En Garde for use in the Circus Maximus. Until then, back in the draw you go lads.

9 comments:

  1. I think my first non-home brew rules (or the lack of them if I'm being entirely honest!) were
    the thin little Airfix books soon to be followed by WRG 5th edition. My first real introduction to percentage dice was in 1979 when I started playing D&D....the good old days...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old Minifigs gladiators take me back to games played with the Paragon group's rules in the mid 70s, often in the garden. At some point I intend to resurrect the rules, but use them with the Garrison figures (now back in production courtesy of Rob Young) - as used, and converted, in the article by Hugh Walters of the Paragaon group, in Military Modelling back in 1973 or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having also been a one time denizen of Blehiem street and later the Stamp shop but more especially of the Wargamers Den in Durham city . Its a wonder we've never met My long gone Gladiators were Garrison but my first dice were pinched from Monopoly and later Campaign

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I actually went to Durham until about 1990 - pity as I would have liked to have seen the Den. There was a nice model soldier shop in York too..

      Delete
  4. Still got my Garrison gladiators from Rudis days. Often wonder what happened to Ian's Colosseum - last I saw it it was in the attic of his parent's home in Halifax. All the spectators were converted from Airfix civilians. Still got a couple of the posters lying around advertising it's first appearance (Bradford University, North East Regionals, 1974 - great fun, helping to organise a wargames convention at the same time as studying for your Finals!).

    Lots of visits to Blenheim Street (not Road, as I recall?), but weirdly never visited the Wargamers Den, despite knowing Derek Sharman quite well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Rob it was road not street. Though neither the shop nor the road are there now, flattened to make way for an exciting four lane link...

      Delete
  5. You're right, Rob it was road not street

    Now you're confusing me!

    Though not as much as I still get when I get toi bus into the Town. Losing Marlborough Crescent threw everything out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I first met such things around '75 when a Prep introduced us to D&D but I soon decided they were the work of the Devil and have done my best to avoid them ever since. I was surprised I was actually able to muster a couple to try out your rules. Electronic dice will be next!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see you mention the Stamp Shop on Linthorpe road in the Boro. I used to almost live there in the late 70`s. It was on my way home from work. I got loads of wargaming figures, mainly Napoleonic. Sadly I got rid of most of them in a house move several years ago.
    When D&D came out I got most of my figures from the Games workshop store further down the road. This was in the days when they sold more than just warhammer stuff of course

    ReplyDelete